Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Tax Information


Everyone who works at OSU must pay federal and state income taxes. OSU is required to withhold income taxes from your paycheck. After the end of the year, you must complete annual tax forms, which for some students will result in a refund of some of the tax that was withheld. These forms are due by April 15 each year. Workshops for international students are available each spring to help with this process. Check the ISS electronic newsletter beginning in January for more information.

Students from certain countries may be able to reduce their tax liability through the benefits of an income tax treaty between the U.S. and their country. IF you qualify for treaty benefits, remember that you must sign a form each year. Check with the ISS office for assistance with tax treaty benefits. Please note that scholarship, fellowship, awards, travel payment or any other type of payment may increase your tax liabilities.

Trisha Chaparala Iyonsi, our International Tax Coordinator, is available to offer assistance in understanding your tax obligations and to assist you with claiming tax treaty benefits.

All foreign nationals who receive payments for work, scholarships, travel reimbursement, or honoraria, from Oklahoma State University generally must enter information into our tax database, called Glacier. New students will have the opportunity to do this during orientation. This database helps OSU determine how you are to be taxed by the U.S. and the State of Oklahoma. You will also receive from ISS the work permit.

Work permit renewal can be done online by clicking the below link (it may take upto 10 business days for renewal) :

International faculty/ staff can receive work permit by appointment only. Please contact Trisha ( for appointments.

You must be enrolled full-time as follows:

Undergraduate 12 Hours
No or 1/4 Assistantship 9 Hours
1/2 Assistantship at least 6 Hours


You may ONLY work a total of 20 hours per week, even if you have more than one job.

If you are eligible to work and have a job, you will need a Social Security Number (SSN), which can be obtained from the Social Security Administration, 406 E Hall of Fame Ave, Stillwater, OK 74075. Please bring along your passport, I-94, I-20 and letter of employment.

If you are receiving a scholarship from your academic department that is subject to tax but you do not have a Social Security Number, you will need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). ISS can help you apply for this number. You will need to complete Form W-7.

You may be able to reduce your tax obligations if a tax treaty exists between the U.S. and your home country. The Glacier software will tell you if such a treaty is available. If Glacier determines that you are eligible for tax treaty benefits, you will be asked to print a pdf file of a Form 8233 for employment or W-8BEN for a scholarship. Remember that the existence of a treaty does not guarantee that you qualify for an exemption. Certain conditions must be met and each situation must be reviewed. When you come to ISS for your International Work Permit, we will help you determine if you qualify for a tax treaty.

Form 8233 is valid for one calendar year, from January 1 to December 31. You should be receiving a reminder by email in late November or early December about renewing your treaty. Your treaty for the next year will not be effective until you sign Form 8233 and submit it to the ISS office.


List of Treaty:


Sprintax Webinars - 2020 Tax Season


Sprintax Information

Electronic filing for 1040NR will be available on Sprintax soon. We will announce it on ISS listservs when the e-filing option is available. Stay tuned! 

The link to access SPRINTAX discount code will be available on starting at 8:30 a.m. Mon. 2/22/2021 at link below

Please fill out the below form to receive the instruction and the code.


Tax Webinar Recording

Sprintax Nonresident Tax Webinar Recording- Oklahoma State University (Recorded on Feb/25/2021)

https://attendee.gotowebinar. com/recording/ 5907378421644470540

Webinar Presentation File


Register for Tax Webinar (General, Not specific to OSU)

General Sprintax Tax Webinars

SprintaxTDS for OPT New Webinar Date: Finally due to positive demand since launching, we are also going to be hosting an open webinar for our OPT pre-employment tax forms software on the 17th of February at 12PM CT anyone that is about to head out on OPT. The webinar will go through an overview of tax related principles for OPT participants as they embark on employment, such as residency for tax purposes, FICA taxes, treaty eligibility, tax forms that they may be asked to complete and an overview of the Sprintax TDS Personal software to help outline how the software can help identify the above for them. The details for this session are outlined below!

  • Sprintax Nonresident Tax Overview for OPT/CPT (A) on Feb 17, 2021 12:00 PM CT  Register here


8843 Form

Instructions for Form 8843

Sample 8843 From

Official IRS blank 8843 Form


Checklist for Foreign Performers and Guest Speakers

Click here to download the checklist



Click here to navigate to the IRS FAQ related to Corona Virus