Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why is my tax situation different from my friend?

Ans: Please be aware that Non Resident Aliens have different tax regulations than U.S. Citizens. Every individual may have a different tax situation depending on multiple factors. Do not assume what may be the case for your friend or roommate is the same for you.

2. Can Professors/ Advisors help you with your taxes?

Ans: No. Despite their expertise in their field, they are not qualified to provide Non Resident Alien Tax information.

3. Who is the best person to advise me what to do?

Ans: For questions about your individual taxes please contact our International Tax Coordinator Trisha Chaparala Iyonsi (

4. Can I use Turbo Tax or any other online tax software to prepare my tax return?

Ans:  NO. these software programs are intended for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens.  OSU provides free online tax software called Glacier that is provided during our Free Tax Workshops in the Spring semester.  Watch the ISS Listserv for a schedule of Free Tax Workshops.

5. Will changing my immigration status change my tax liability?

Ans: YES. It is your responsibility to report any changes in immigration status to Trisha Chaparala Iyonsi. She will let you know if there are any tax implications.

6. What is the due date of a U.S. income tax return? 

Ans: Generally April 15 of each year. Your return is considered filed timely if the envelope is properly addressed and postmarked no later than April 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business date.

7.  Why did my friend receive a tax refund and I didn’t? 

Ans: Every person’s situation is unique and determined by a number of different factors.  Some individuals may receive tax refunds while others may owe additional taxes.

8. What happens if I do not file a tax return?

Ans: If you owe taxes and do not file, the IRS can assess a penalty and interest and seize U.S. bank assets for payment. There can also be immigration consequences for failing to file a tax return. If you are unsure if you need to file a tax return, please contact Trisha Chaparala Iyonsi at

9. Will the ISS office prepare my tax return for me?

Ans:NO. We will host Tax Workshops that show you how to use the Glacier Tax Prep software. The software is very easy to use and you will be able to prepare your own tax return.  The ISS office can only assist you with using the software and will not be able to prepare your individual tax return.

10.  Can I submit my tax return electronically? 

Ans: NO. Non Resident Aliens cannot file tax returns electronically.  The Glacier Tax Prep software will auto fill the appropriate tax forms. To complete your tax filing requirement, you must print the forms and mail them to the federal IRS address provided by Glacier. Oklahoma state taxes must be filed with the Oklahoma Tax Commission. Information related to Oklahoma tax returns will be provided at the tax workshops.

11. I transferred from another school. Do I need to file two separate federal tax returns?

Ans:  NO. You will include all income information in one federal tax return.  If you transferred from a school in another state you may need to also file a tax return for that state.  Please contact Trisha Chaparala Iyonsi if you have questions.